Thursday, June 01, 2006

Off to the Hat

Tomorrow morning I am off to Medicine Hat for work at the CMDRA's season opener. Medicine Hat......isn't that the weirdest name for a city? I wonder why they chose that. What was wrong with Medicine Shoe? That must have already been taken....or wait, maybe that one was too silly!!

I could be in Paris with Sarah & Whitney, but no instead I am stuck heading to the middle of nowhere to work 12 hours a day on my weekend.....I'm not bitter at all I swear!

Fortunately this will be the last race that I have to attend for a while. We are training some new volunteers this year, so this summer I will actually get to have a life. It's going to be great!! As much as I whine, I do have to admit that I am going to miss it, but it is a long over due break!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

The name "Medicine Hat" is the English translation of 'Saamis' (SA-AH-UMP-SIN)- the Blackfoot word for the eagle tail feather headress worn by medicine men - or 'Medicine Hat'. This particular 'Medicine Hat' finds its origins from Aboriginal legends about a battle long ago between the Blackfoot and the Cree Indian tribes in which a retreating "Medicine Man" lost his headdress in the South Saskatchewan River.

Early residents considered changing the name to something more 'normal', but visiting writer Rudyard Kipling convinced locals it would be truly unique and never imitated should they keep it. Medicine Hat is also known as "The Gas City" due to its tremendous wealth of natural gas beneath it. This inspired Kipling to say Medicine Hat was born lucky...You people in this district seem to have all Hell for a basement.

This quote in turn inspired Big Sugar's hit single "All Hell for a Basement", a song about the lead singer's hometown.

Medicine Hat residents are often referred to as 'Hatters'

2:50 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

well now you know. although I think that it gets the silver medal for strangest place name. A woman that I work with is from Swastika, Ontario. The town refused to change the name when the federal government tried to make them durring WWII.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home