Thursday, July 27, 2006

Warding Off the Evil Eye

I went to visit Popi and her new baby girl, Nektaria, the other day and, of course, the first thing I said when I saw her was how adorable the she was. I mean look at her!!!


As soon as I said that a conversation similar to the following ensued....Popi was like, "Spit on my baby" and I was like, "Pardon?" Then something distracted us and I figured I had just misheard what she had said until a little while later when I was oooing and awing over the baby again. "You need to spit on the baby." "What? Why do you want me to spit on your kid???" "Well, don't hork on her, just a light 'ftou'." "Um....okay....ftou. What's the deal with that?" "To keep away the Evil Eye. You do it when you say someone's pretty."

I had heard of the Evil Eye before, but I hadn't heard of this particular "spit on my child" tradition. I was so intrigued by it that when I got home I felt the need to investigate further so I googled "Greek evil eye spit on baby" (I'm totally not joking) and surprisingly it came up with several sites and the following information.

Amongst Greek superstitions, the Evil Eye is one of the oldest and widely believed myths. According to superstition, a glance of the Evil Eye is believed to have the ability to cause injury or death on those who it falls. Some Greeks, especially in villages, believe that someone can catch the evil eye, or "matiasma", from someone else's compliment or envy. A person who has caught the evil eye is usually feeling bad physically and psychologically.

To ward off the Evil Eye several things can be done. An eye is painted into the middle of a blue charm, this charm is then worn as a necklace or as a bracelet. Blue beads can also be worn instead of the eye charm in the form of a necklace or bracelet.

In Greece you will see children wearing pins with the “eye” and if you do compliment a baby, don’t be surprised if they will ask you to spit towards them. Maybe three times, a symbolism of the Holy Trinity to defend against the eye. Some Greeks believe that spitting chases the devil and the misfortune away. That is why when someone talks about bad news (death, accident, etc.) the others slightly spit three time saying "ftou, ftou, ftou".

There's my little cultural lesson for the week. So remember, if a Greek spits on you, consider it a compliment....if a Canadian spits on you, you might want to kick their ass!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home